Saturday, March 31, 2007

Rock Tumbling





well I guess its the saying "dont judge a book by its cover"


My brother gave the girls a rock tumbler his last visit out here and so literally the next day we went and bought a small box of powder Tide and started a set of rocks and broken glass.


Amazing to me that the rocks take a month of tumbling in 4 different types of grit to become smooth and shiny, tumbling 24 hours a day for 31 days.


I took these photos right after we rinsed off grit #2 and were starting on grit #3, fine grit. they are only shiny since they are wet. The glass was finished and we took it out.


I was so happy to see how pretty the rocks are, they are so unique and interesting, and yet started out so plain and rough.

Also, I didnt really think that the volume of the rocks would be so reduced. When we started we had the barrel filled almost to the top. now at step #3 it is about at 40% of its original size.

On Thursday we move to step #4, polish!!! the girls are so excited each time we rinse and go to a new step, this has been fun, thanks uncle chuck!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Aubrey Harns said...

You'll have to post a picture with the finished rocks!
Aubrey

7:15 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Perks said...

Ah, you know how I feel about my old rock tumbler!! What an awesome activity for the girls. I'm so getting the kids one when they get older. Looks like even in this age the kids still have fun! Yeah!! Can't wait to see the finished rocks! :-) Jen

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home