Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Date book makeover

I got a 2008 date book/address book from my accountants. I started carrying it when I needed to call them on a daily basis during tax time, and then I just started using it.

The scrappy side of me just cringed each time I looked at the late 60's early 70's fall motif of the cover. It reminded me of the commercials on TV for the "Mellow sounds of the 70's collection on 8 track". When I needed to write an appointment in my date book I would pull it out covertly so no one could see the front cover.

I just couldn't take my double life and I went to the store to buy a new 2008 calendar. Not only were most of them just as hideous - but they were $5 and I thought of the hassle of transferring all the info to a new book.
I decided to pull the old cover off, corner round the corners of the current calendar and make a new cover.
I used the Around the Block pattern paper that says "Remember" {so clever!} stitched the edge, and mounted it on pink cardstock for more durability. I added some Around the Block epoxy flower brads and some "Simply Stated" brads in a bag that say "live", "laugh" "smile" "fly"... I am not embarrassed to pull out my date book any more in front of people. They all probably thought I was trying to hide a pack of cigarettes or something, not knowing it was just a horrible 70's inspired fall scene cover on a date book.

5 Comments:

Blogger Shelly K. Hein-Simmons said...

That date book is so cute! I have the same original!! Roger & Jan take care of our taxes here at the office!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Johanna - love the cover! I've googled those brads but can't find them - since they were 'simply stated' I thought they were MM but can't seem to find them. Can you let us know whose those are? Thanks! Great to meet you back in April - Rachel (Scrapbooking From the Inside Out)

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute makeover. Def better than the original cover. Ick!

Johanna, are you going to join the new SAF group? I had to open a new group since the old one went kaput on us. Let me know if you need me to send the link to you.

Thanks!
Lea

4:30 PM  
Blogger Pearl Maple said...

Cool make over, you would never know what is lurking behind that pretty cover.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Jen Martakis said...

How pretty!!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home